Daddy Pig's Allotment

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Good news/Bad news

Arrived this evening to do the watering - and lo and behold the council have sited a brand-new water-trough right next to my plot. So, instead of walking 40 yards downhill to the tap, and back again with two full cans - the water's there in the bottom corner of the allotment. So I can do more watering, and take less time - win/win!

As I start to water I discover that all my rocket, pak choi, radishes, mooli, and other leaf-salad is crawling with small brown bugs, and that all the leaves have been attacked with tiny perforations. Flea Beetle is the culprit I think, having consulted the books and the Grapevine forum... I have pulled up a lot of the affected stuff, but need to go back and finish the job tomorrow/Friday. What a blow - let's hope that the pests move on, or better still just die off. The books have some tale about coating pieces of wood in axle grease, but I fear life's too short (mine, I mean).

Got a handsome crop of green beans - and the runners have set, so loads of water on them tonight, and here's hoping for a crop in a few days' time.

Can't get over the water being installed so quickly. Big thanks to M - the allotment warden who lobbied for it on my & neighbours' behalf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home