Daddy Pig's Allotment

Thursday, March 01, 2007

New season underway...

Went up to the plot on Sunday lunchtime for a couple of hours. I'd not been up since just after New Year, and was a bit apprehensive. Since last year both neighbouring plots have been taken, both have sheds, but very little else. Downhill has dug a little 'test' bed through the winter's covering of weeds, and Uphill has dismantled a load of edged-beds and rotovated the lot: so activity is stirring. On my plot everything has got through the winter unscathed. The shed is nice and watertight, and the raised beds are in good order. The rest is a bit of a wilderness though. If I only had the raised beds, which equates to about 12m x 1m across the four, I'd probably have enough anyway: it's looking after all the rest that's a pain when it's not got stuff growing. Maybe I should resort more readily to black plastic this year and keep things looking tidier? And I have the promise of at least four more raised beds for this season, so that brings another chunk of the plot under control.
I sowed a few rows of broad beans, a bit later than planned, but at least they're in. I'd also earlier sown some salad leaf in a leftover Growbag in the greenhouse, so they might get going. The winter salad at the plot has done OK: corn salad, winter lettuce, rocket all under cloches - I came away with a good bag full, as well as the last dozen onions from the shed. And the onions and garlic I put in November time have mostly made it through: it's pigeons rather than the weather that has uprooted some of them.
I finally felled the sunflowers, any seeds having been devoured by local birds, or dropped to the ground and self-set. There are thousands (slight exaggeration, but only slight) of nasturtium seeds about in the beds, so I won't need to sow any this year.
After a gloomy, long, dark and SAD winter, it does the soul a power of good to get up on the plot again. It's light in the morning, it's light at teatime - and the prospect of long weekend days up there really starts to feel good. S bought me a diary so I can keep all my allotment notes and records up together through the year: here's to looking back in 12 months' time at a job well done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home